House of Interiors
» Aspects of Bedroom Interior Designing
» Ideal Bedroom Concept
» Choosing Beds
Standard sized beds are generally categorized as single, twin, extra-long twin, full, double, queen, king, California king, eastern king and western king that have their own distinctive and defined bed sizes. One can choose from amongst them according to their need, number of people they need to accommodate in a room, size of the persons and size of the room itself. Just a little difference in size can get you cheated by lots of bucks, so read this guide to more about these bed types, before choosing one for your bedroom, children's room or guest room:
- Custom-sized beds may look good in a room but then you will always need custom-sized bedding for the perfect fit.
- Twin beds are nothing but single beds that are narrower and can fit into tiniest bedrooms. They are good choices for kids' room or guest room and often come as bunk beds or have 'trundle' fitted under them that can be pulled out to accommodate a sleepover friends. They are 39" wide and about 75" long. Their bedsheets are easily available but it may be too short for some adults.
- Extra long twin beds are 39" wide like a twin bed but is 80" in length to accommodate tall teenagers and adults and are favorite choices for college dorm rooms or attic rooms for singles. However, finding bedding for it can be bit of a headache.
- It is not necessary that 'standard' beds and bedding sizes is same everywhere so it is advisable to have the exact measurements with you for better fittings.
- Double or full sized beds are one and the same thing and are 54" wide and 75" long, which gives only 27" of space per person, which is 12" less than a twin bed and thus are considered too narrow for daily purposes. However, they still require small space and thus may be used in smaller rooms or for guest rooms.
- Double and full sized beds may be too short for some adults.
- Queen beds are 60" wide and 80" long and thus, allow each person 30" of space, which is still much less than the one offered by the twin bed. However, couples often prefer to use it because it occupies less floor area and fit snugly into small master bedrooms of new couples or guest rooms.
- An 'Olympic queen' bed is slightly bigger than the standard queen size but then neither queen-sized not king-sized bedding will not fit it correctly.
- Standard King bed or Eastern King bed is 76" wide and 80" long and allows for 38" of space per person for a couple, while California or Western King bed is 72" wide and 84" long, allowing 36" of width per person and more vertical space for taller persons.
- You can also opt for two extra-long twin beds instead on one standard sized king bed to allow greater versatility.
- You may need to search for right fit of sheets before buying one.
- Most of the king-sized beds come with half-width box springs and one mattress to allow for easier moving and changing position.